Connect with us


21 illegal miners arrested at Anglogold Ashanti’s Obuasi Mining Site



21 illegal miners arrested at Anglogold Ashanti’s Obuasi Mining Site

A team of military and police officers working together at AngloGold Ashanti in the Ashanti Region had detained a total of 21 illegal miners who had broken into the company’s Felix hole (Cote D’or) underground operations area.

They were picked up on March 9th, 2023, about 6:00 a.m.

As the suspects emerged from underground, a surveillance drone caught them.

Little bags carrying ore that contains gold and detonating codes were among the items recovered from them.

They were turned over to the Obuasi Municipal Police command, and then Her Lordship Joyce Boahen presided over their arraignment in front of the Obuasi Magistrate court.

All of the accused were placed on remand to appear in court on March 23, 2023.

Remember that on Friday, July 15, 2022, several illegal miners were apprehended at Cote d’or, raising questions when they were found lying in dirt, leading the Minority in Ghana’s Parliament to make a statement demanding for investigations.

After relinquishing 70% of the Cote d’Or mining site to the government in 2016, AngloGold Ashanti still holds the remaining 30% of the concession.

The corporation has advised illegal miners on several times not to enter the site, but all warnings have been ignored.

Source: KasapafmOnline

Continue Reading